History of Meals on Wheels in Tasmania
The Meals on Wheels service in Tasmania started in 1955 with one car operating and with meals being bought from a commercial source for delivery to a small number of elderly/sick in the community of Hobart.
In 1963 a second branch was formed at Glenorchy, with meals being provided by volunteers using a small kitchen made available by the local council.
The incorporation of The Meals on Wheels Association of Tasmania was effected in 1971 with 8 Branches formed around the State at that Stage.
Meals on Wheels Tasmania now has a total of 33 Branches extending from Smithton in the North West to Dover in the South and deliver approximately 200,000 meals a year.